Thursday, September 8, 2022

Dolomites September 3 - 19 2022

 Wednesday 9/7


Having stormed during the night, we were hoping for the weather to clear for our ride. We were  expected to “only” ride 23 miles - easy, right?  Think again!  I was shot after 20 minutes!!  I was having trouble with the gear shift much to my frustration.  When I finally figured it out, we were on the unpaved bike trail…this was only the beginning. 




Rosita’s morning talk told us we would have a gentle uphill climb before “all downhill”. There was nothing gentle about it!  Lenny was so supportive…encouraging me constantly.  I had to stop to catch my breath a few times and chug some water…and take advantage of the beautiful panoramic vista.  At one of these unscheduled stops, Miriam and Jane caught up to us.



It should be noted that Len and I were at the back of the pack.  Len then went ahead, as did Jane.  Miriam remained with me and  anoles me every step of the way.  I really felt horrible and didn’t want to go  on.  I made it to the first rest stop, the WWI cemetery ( only 8 miles in)and I considered getting in the van. Both Rosita and Miriam were not having any of it so on I plugged along.  Considering how great the first day was, I was disappointed by my inability to negotiate the hills.  At one point I got off and walked…even that  was not so easy.





Miriam and I stopped at the Tre Cima - an area of three peaks.  The model depicted the elevations for climbers - can't imagine anyone climbing these babies!

When I rode again, the second stop, Lago Leandro, I resolved to be taken up the final 3 miles before the downhill. Rosita drove me and my bicycle to the next stop, Chalet Passo Cimabanche, where I waited for Len. Ann & Shel arrived and told me those last 3 miles were killer. Len appeared, no worse for the wear but concurred that I would have struggled.


We then proceeded for the final run.  Unpaved trail doesn’t even begin to describe what we rode.  It was chunks of rocks, slate, mud, water, ruts and some embedded stones.  We found out that just last month there had been a rock slide!!!  Of course as we picked up speed, the threat of fishtailing and skidding increased. The trick was to remain in control, so I intermittently rode the brake.  Not very efficient but comfortable.  The trail was a converted rail line and at one point we had to go through an unlit yawning tunnel!!



Couldn’t see a thing in front of myself…and riders were coming at us from the opposite direction!  I was so worried about mud ruts  but looking down didn’t accomplish a thing.  We made it out of there unscathed, only to see another looming up ahead.  This one was lit ( a few overhead spots) but it was better than nothing. When we emerged on the other side, who should be there?…Ann & Shel. 



The remainder of the ride we did together…ever so carefully, stopping for pix along the way. One area we rode through looked like scattered boulders that had been sliced and diced overlooking a sheer drop no less!  NO GUARD RAILS!



Eventually we got back onto a paved trail, picking up speed and grateful that we were almost (almost) done.  We arrived at the Cortina train station, sat for awhile enjoying a panini, then back on the bike to get to our hotel The Cristalo.  OMG!!  Two switchbacks that I couldn’t negotiate.  Walking up the incline, I was soon joined by Len AND Ann AND Sheldon.  I was never so happy to have finished a ride of ONLY 23 miles!


The hotel is lovely with spa, pool, outdoor hot tub overlooking the valley.  Cortina is called the queen of the Dolomites because the surrounding the mtns create a crown around the city.


We had dinner in town La Stua ( some kind of stove) and had the most delicious eggplant dish. This was followed by risotto, then chicken, potatoes, then salad then dessert!  Fabulous!  Tomorrow we are supposed to hike, but the weather may not comply.  Buonanotte!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to read this was somewhat difficult, but you did it! That’s what I love about you!
Love Marie

Anonymous said...

I’m having a difficult time navigating this website can’t imagine having to ride a bike up those hills. You did great. Clara

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on navigating a difficult trail! Doesn’t matter that you walked some, rode some- you did it!! What an accomplishment and what views! Thanks for sharing your journey thru the Dolomites. I was gasping as I was reading. Have a wonderful time in Venice.
Love, E & H

Anonymous said...

Proud of you!! I wouldn’t have made it past mile one! 😂

Anonymous said...

Sorry didn’t sign in! It’s ME!
❤️ Lil L

Anonymous said...

Through it all you did it !!! Sounds amazing