Friday, September 16, 2022

Tuesday, 9/13

Today’s ride took us along wide tree-lined streets  of Lido, and along the sea front. We encountered yet another “ market day” so we had to walk our bikes through all the vendors and stalls.  We continued to the ferry, where we took a short ride to Pellestrina. 



This island is dotted with fishing villages all along the water front. Somehow I missed a turn and ended up riding with Miriam…again!  We heard church bells and saw a crowd up ahead…uh oh…a funeral procession…can’t ride through that!  We started to walk our bikes, and inched our way up through the mourning throng. We didn’t want to be disrespectful but I really didn’t want to be part of a funeral on my last day in Venice!  We got behind the walking, chanting priest and Miriam hissed, “GO!”  I jumped back on and prayed that I’d not skid off! (also prayed for the poor soul!).  Miriam caught up and away we rode.

The sea was a spectacular blue and I think I like riding at sea level than mountain roads!  We eventually met up with the rest of the group, only to split up.  Lenny and I opted to stay longer and enjoy this little oasis rather than head back to the frenetic energy of Venice proper.  We lunched at a seaside restaurant joined by Jane and Daryl then meandered back to Lido. 

Back on Lido, we rode along the coast atop a beach wall.  Never knew this place existed…a beautiful find. 



Our final dinner together was in Venice. Rosita had to take us since it required multiple alleys and bridges. I think a month in Venice wouldn’t be enough to learn all the intricacies!

We all went to St Mark’s Square where we listened to the orchestras, had a nightcap and watch the moonrise.  

We had an early departure on Wed, so we said our goodbyes to everyone. Tomorrow - phase 3 of our adventure!


2 comments:

Clara said...

Haha. I was surprised to see you still biking. I thought once you got to Venice that it was over. Ok. Ready for phase 3

Anonymous said...

Amazing !!! Go team Lufrano!