Sunday, November 10, 2019

Thursday

Thursday Oct 31, 2019

We actually had an agenda our first day in Quaglietta!

First, the plaque for my Aunt Frances’ crypt needed to be put in place. Not an easy task since we had to first identify where she (her ashes) was. Lenny went early to the “ Sanitoria”.  He actually came back to wake me by saying “ she,s not here”.  I then explained where Louis told me and away he went. When he returned and joined me for breakfast, he thought he had found her so he took pictures and sent them to Louis to verify. The last thing we wanted was to entomb the wrong person!  The cemetery was being swept, and maintained. It seems like the thing “ to do” to visit the cemetery.  Though this could be because of the approaching feasts of All saints and all souls.  Hence the need for us to make hay while the sun shines!

Next on the list...get to Callabritto and find the municipal offices to find my father’s birth certificate with appropriate seal.  After searching through many books and huge tomes ( he wasn’t  in the computer), the “ not so nice” civil servant found it, and made the copy.  He couldn’t help with tracing some of the others because dates were needed.  Marie accompanied me on this adventure and I think we’re ok with the original story of our connection...our maternal grandmothers are somehow related.

We walked the town a bit, marveling at the surrounding mountains by which time we heard from Louis...YES...that crypt IS my aunt! Back to Quaglietta for the gluing!

The six of us went back to the cemetery, to place the plaque upon the marble slate.  Lenny had already removed it earlier.  That done, a call to Carmelina to confirm the evening events.

Earlier that morning, the staff was readying the castle parts for Halloween and a party for the kids.  There was a woman there who spoke English...Carmela Puglia who spent many years in Astoria NY. I told her who I was and who I knew and I asked her about Pupinella ( my cousin).  She told me she was in Quaglietta in the same house. So now in search of...

I knocked on the door, rang the bell...nothing.  Again brave Marie came with me. We began to walk away and Ed, who was watching from the square said a lady came out from the side.  I went back to the cut between the houses and called out. A woman was behind a gate so I asked for Pupinella Grasso, and she asked me who I was.  There was a misconnection but she asked us in.  When I pulled out the picture of she and I from 1966, she said but who are you?

It was then I realized something went wrong in the translation. I then said Lucia, daughter of Zio Vito.  Then it registered!  Have to admit I got a little weepy.

Anyhow, the house is beautiful, completely redone and nothing like the cavernous stone dwelling of 1966!  Even the garden is spectacular!  We were able to chat and exchange news of 30 years as best we could. She kept apologizing for the condition of her spotless home sand she wouldn’t let me take a picture...she said her hair was a mess...her mom has only just died 3 months ago.  So I said I’d come back Fri or Sat and she was vague about when would be good.  We took our leave and I felt good about the visit.

Next stop - lunch in Oliveto.  We found the hotel La Collina and the restaurant. Nothing however looked familiar to me as far as finding Carmelina’s house.  She told us to come at 9 pm and not to eat!  So back to Quaglietta to complete the crypt and have a siesta!

It was a little weird accomplishing this deed on all hallowed”s eve, but hey, someone had to do it.  By now the plaque was dried and the slab ready to mount.  Lenny and friends get A+++!


That evening we returned to Oliveto but couldn’t find the house. The festivities were to be in a little piazza across from the house, but we drove around for 40 minutes.  We finally called Carmelina, told her where we were and she said someone would get us by 9.  We waited in the square til 9:30...we were going to leave when Mario pulled up and said to follow him.  Turns out we’d driven by the piazza earlier!

Carmelina and friends had gone all out with decorations, food and costumes.but the piece de resistance was the corpse they wheeled out, cut into then bbqed his intestines!  FAT SAUSAGES!



All and all it was a pretty good Halloween!

No comments: